Friday, April 30, 2010

Kilmainham Gaol (pronounced Jail)

Wednesday April 28th, was a very busy and wonderful 24 hours. I am going to have to break it up into several postings. There is too much to talk about, and at the moment I only have a short window of time to update you before I go to my pilates session.


I'm getting up pretty late these days - staying up late - the night before and chatting with my hosts over glasses of wine makes for good some good sleeping in! I took my walk to the tram stop and headed into Dublin. Had breakfast at Bewleys on Grafton street, then took the big bus tour around parts of the city to Kilmainham Gaol. 
above the entrance
This is a jail built in the 18th century. The hallways and doors of the prison were haunting, and if I hadn't been with a group of folks, led by a very informative tour guide, I don't think I would've gone in there. 
 inside one of the cells
The cells were made of stone, with one window high up. The windows were placed as such so that the prisoner was made to look up towards the heavens, towards the light of God.
looking in from the hole outside the door
These cells, on the first level, were so dark and eerie. It was really emotional for me. Not sure why, but I got tearful a couple of times. Maybe just an energy thing, but also just the story of why some of Ireland most thoughtful and intelligent men, and women, were held here. (See In the Name of the Father).
scratched into the hallway of cells where several of the "uprisers" were held.
This says "Beware of the Risen People that have been harried and held Ye that have bullied and bribed." Indeed.
upstairs from original cell blocks. 19th century renovation
The idea behind the great hall was by putting prisoners in a more communal setting, and adding light from above, less violence would breed. If you were a guard, you can monitor 90% of the rooms for where ever you stood. The prisoners were made to feel that they could been seen at all times. The eye hole on the prisoner side of the door even replicates the shape of the watchful eye of the guard.
inside looking out
The yard is where executions of 14 of 16 of the up-risers happened. 
the yard
Due to public outcry, the last two were never executed. One, Eamon DeValera became  President of Ireland. It was an amazing day of history. You must see this, if you are ever here. The museum has wonderful historical papers and artifacts from that time. 





No comments:

Post a Comment